Thursday 13 June 2024

Pure arrogance

Getting a Bib Gourmand recognition means nothing when service to customers suffers! 

It doesn't give hawkers carte blanche to raise prices or act arrogantly towards their loyal and long-time customers. 

Take the Taman Bukit Curry Mee in Bukit Mertajam, for instance. For decades, one could place an order at the stall, and they would bring the food to the table. But not anymore. 

Forgetting their humble beginnings, they now consider themselves an "atas" (elite) food stall. It's self-service now. Not that they are short of helpers but you're expected to wait in line and carry your own bowls to your table. That's how arrogant they've become. Bib Gourmand? Bah! Just an excuse to foster artificial elitism.

This morning, I had a rude awakening when I went there. Despite being a regular enough customer, the lady hawker told me to line up. She said, "Pai tui, pai tui. Uah lang boh pang liao. Lu kaki pang khi." (Translation: "Line up, line up. We don't bring you the food anymore. You take it back yourself.") At my age, I don't need this sort of aggravation. Only masochists will meekly obey. Suak, lah, if that's your attitude. I simply walked away. I can assure them that they've lost more than one customer.


No comments: