Writing this story was not easy. Initially, I was debating with myself whether to use the word “deaf” or a more politically acceptable term like “hearing impaired”. But then the organisers themselves wanted the event to be called the Asia Pacific Deaf Chess Championship, which was part of a wider Asia Pacific Deaf Multi-sport Championship in Penang. Medals were also being contested in other sports, viz, athletics, badminton, bowling, table tennis and orienteering. So perhaps I had been worrying unnecessarily about being politically incorrect.
It was last December
that I first heard about the Asia Pacific Deaf Chess Championship and that it would be held in Penang. Subsequently, the Penang Chess Association was invited to provide the technical expertise needed to make the championship a success. And so, what had initially been just an announcement became a reality this month, with the championship getting under way on 03 October 2026 at the 1st Avenue Mall.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the mall to watch the games until the final day of competition. By then, the players had already gone through the individual classical and blitz events, and what remained for me to watch was the final of the rapid mixed team event. So that was where I caught up with the championship, with the teams fighting it out for the medals.In this mixed team rapid event, India emerged as the champions after beating Kazakhstan in the final to take the gold medal. Malaysia then beat Kuwait to secure the bronze. It was good to see the Malaysian team getting onto the medal podium in an international chess competition, particularly one being held on home ground in Penang.
And so, congratulations to all the medal winners, especially Leong Ee Hern for his Gold, Silver and Bronze. It is always nice to see a Malaysian player doing well, and even better when the competition takes place right here in Penang.




No comments:
Post a Comment