Thursday 31 May 2007

Vistana Hotel Penang

I really don't understand this hotel.

According to someone I know who tried to book me into this four-star hotel during the National closed chess championship in Penang, the room rates are:

1) RM140 nett for government servants. This includes breakfast.
2) RM149.50 nett for pensioners. This excludes breakfast.
3) RM190.50 nett for others. This also excludes breakfast.

Now, I wonder why this hotel is having this huge discrepancy in their prices. Why the extraordinary promotional rates only for government servants? Even pensioners do not have it so good. It's so ridiculous.

I must say that the hotel room is quite decent. However, I have to take issue with two things:

a) The hotel does not provide newspapers automatically to their house guests. You'll have to go down to the lobby every morning to collect the newspaper. Reason? Seems that the newspapers often go missing in the mornings! Poor excuse, in my opinion. Why can't the hotel push the newspaper underneath the door instead of hanging it on the door handle??

b) It's the only four-star hotel I know that does not offer their house guests complimentary bottles of mineral water. Even some three-star hotels will give mineral water to their guests. But not this hotel. I walked into the room, expecting to see the bottles and saw none. Only in the mini-fridge. Out of curiosity I phoned the housekeeping department to ask whether the two bottles were complimentary. The lady at the other end laughed cheerfully: "No, sir, you'll have to pay for them!" At least I was addressed politely as "Sir"...

No comments: