Thursday 5 July 2007

No permission yet to use this word

I was thinking of taking my family to (no_permission_to_use_this_word) for a short holiday at the end of this year but it looks quite likely that I may have to change my plans.

You see, I do not want to catch the (no_permission_to_use_this_word) virus that was discovered by a group of Malaysian scientists. This virus was found in bats near the (no_permission_to_use_this_word) town of Bemban last year.

The scientists, in their professional enthusiasm, had decided to name it after the state where the virus was discovered but recently, the Chief Minister of (no_permission_to_use_this_word) protested, saying that naming it that way would put (no_permission_to_use_this_word) in a bad light.

Luckily, the Health Ministry has now decided to rename the (no_permission_to_use_this_word) virus.

But there is more to come. The Chief Minister in his executive enthusiasm has now declared that anyone who wishes to use the name (no_permission_to_use_this_word) in anything must first get the green light from the state government. He was quoted as saying that (no_permission_to_use_this_word)'s name is not something to "play around" with as (no_permission_to_use_this_word) is where Malaysia's history started.

When I wrote this piece for my blog, I was still unable to contact him and get permission to use (no_permission_to_use_this_word). In fact, I am only a lowly blogger who doesn't know how to contact the Chief Minister in the first place. So, you will have to excuse me if I do not use the word (no_permission_to_use_this_word) in this tale. I may be a bit hazy today but that doesn't mean I want to fall foul of the law.

UPDATE: Here is a snapshot of the write-up on 5 July 2007, in case you don't believe me:

No comments: