Monday 9 July 2007

Potential danger

The Equatorial Hotel in Bukit Jambul, Penang, gives me a great opportunity to enjoy the breath-taking view of the south-eastern part of Penang island. I've taken a number of photographs from this vantage point and they have been glorious.

Last August - that would be 11 months ago - I happened to take this picture. I was aghast at the clearing of the vegetation beside this partially-built house that was perched on the slope of the hill. I wondered whether the building's foundation was strong enough to support the whole structure. I was also concerned whether the bare hill slope would be affected by soil erosion. I wouldn't want to see a disaster and I did write in to The Star but nothing came out of it.


Earlier this month, I took another snapshot of the place. Vegetation has covered the slope but is it enough? I wonder. The house looks a bit more complete (there is a coat of paint) but has any improvement or reinforcement been made to its foundation? I don't know. I really don't know...


Anyway, I have another tale to tell about these two pictures but I shall leave it to tomorrow.

No comments: