Wednesday 20 February 2008

Would you vote for Master Q?

I've been hearing that under the regulations, a candidate standing for a parliamentary seat in the General Elections can spend up to RM200,000 on his campaign. That's a lot of money to spend on enticing people to vote for them.

Those in the Barisan Nasional will have no problem raising this sort of money because they have the government machinery behind them. The ones that will have difficulty raising the money - which goes into printing, publicity and campaign expenses - will be the opposition parties. They do not have the same resources and usually make do with whatever they can raise from supporters and sympathisers.

But the hardest hit will be the independent candidates. How on earth are they going to make themselves known to the people if they can hardly campaign? It's an uphill task and yet....you'll still find people wanting to put themselves up as independent candidates. If you ask me, I'll tell you that most of them are c-r-a-z-y nuts who should be confined to the Tanjung Rambutan constituency.

I've long admired people like Billi PS Lim for their spunk and daring do. In my opinion, he is an interesting motivator and inspiration, though he may not be the perfect role model.

He dared to write a book called Dare To Fail. But he's correct. If you do not dare to fail, how can you succeed? He had stood as an independent candidate in Bukit Bintang in the past two general elections and very likely, he is going to stand again this time.

While he may be an inspiration to many people, he is also one of the crazy fellas. I mean, if he chooses on purpose to dress up like this (see picture above) and he dares to sport a hairstyle that is a throwback to a comic character, he must be crazy enough to do everything else. But at the back of people's mind, does he have any serious issue to stand for? Will voters ever take him seriously?

Maybe I will. If he can motivate me enough. If he can inspire me enough. If he can persuade me enough. If he can convince me enough. But it's just too bad that he's not contesting in Bukit Mertajam and I'm not staying in the Bukit Bintang area or otherwise, I'll definitely consider giving him my X. Oh...what the heck!

No comments: