Saturday 19 April 2008

BM Hill: A return to normalcy

Here's a short break from my Sabah travel blog. Today was the 12th day since we all came down from Mt Kinabalu. Today, I decided to resume my regular exercise regimen by climbing the BM Hill at Cherok To'Kun.

I had put it off for 12 days because my knees felt different. Occasionally, I could feel some slight twinges of discomfort in both knees and I needed time to heal and recover fully from all that. For about a month before our trip to Sabah, I had been taking heavy does of glucosamine and chondroitin daily to keep my knee joints oiled. I'm still taking them daily but will be cutting down on the dosage soon.

I had almost forgotten how the forest at BM Hill smelt like. It's something like three weeks since I last went there. And the hill welcomed me back by showing me new things. Like, for example, this butterfly laying its eggs:


And this butterfly that simply stayed so still as I slowly went in closer and closer with my camera. It didn't fly away:


Fungus growing on a rotting tree trunk halfway up the hill track:


Abundance of richly hued grasshoppers such as this one:


And some beautiful white flowers to boot:


Of course, I was rudely brought back to earth when I saw this flag fluttering at the junction of Jalan Kulim and Jalan Kolam. It's rather shameful to let their flag degrade to such a condition. Where's their pride?

No comments: