Tuesday 26 August 2008

Some Permatang Pauh observations (1)

Did anybody ever mention that this is the Chinese seventh month? The Month of the Hungry Ghosts? Yes, it is, indeed! However, celebration this year seems to be so muted. I've seen stages being erected in various parts of Bukit Mertajam and on the island, but that's about all. Anyone unobservant could be excused if he forgot all about the Chinese seventh month.

Maybe it's because of the by-election in Permatang Pauh. The Pakatan and Barisan flags and buntings are everywhere and have overshadowed everything else.

Anyway, I was quite amused a few days ago to come across these small flags by the roadside. Suddenly, my mind was jolted. Say, I thought to myself, isn't this so reminiscent of the little triangular flags that we Chinese would display by the roadside during the Month of the Hungry Ghosts?

You know, the battle for Permatang Pauh is primarily a battle for the Malay votes. They make up about 75 percent of the registered voters in this constituency. The rest are the Chinese, Indians and other minorities. Maybe that's why there are so few banners in Chinese. Here's one of the half-hearted attempts at persuading the masses.

But a disturbing sight is this billboard in Permatang Pauh town itself. I saw it this morning as I was driving back from casting my vote. I don't have to know Mandarin to guess what this caricature is all about. Why must our politicians still be playing the racial trick? Why can't be we talking about UNITY instead of DISUNITY? When can they ever learn that Enough is Enough?

No comments: