Monday 8 September 2008

Landslip at BM Hill

I heard from various sources that the heavy rain on Saturday created a lot of havoc in Penang, both on the island and the mainland.

There were floods all over the city and the other urban areas on the island. Also the Jalan Tun Sardon which connects Paya Terubong to Balik Pulau was closed because of landslides. On the mainland, Taman Siakap in Seberang Jaya was flooded and I would suppose Chai Leng Park could have been at risk too. Correct me if I'm wrong. But Bukit Mertajam's infamous triangle comprising Jalan Tembikai, Desa Damai and Taman Sri Rambai was about the hardest hit among the residential areas. My wife's aunt, staying in Taman Sri Rambai, said that the roads were flooded and water was coming in through the back. However, it had not flowed into the house. The Prai industrial estate? I heard that the pumps at the pump houses were operating round the clock and there is no report or complaint in the newspapers. So I guess that would be alright.

Yesterday, I took my regular hike up the Bukit Mertajam hill and it seemed that the rain had not spared the hill too. At about the 3.4km mark along the tar road, a serious landslip had occurred on both sides of the road, bringing down yellow soil and a tree. The road's definitely impassable to cars.

As usual, nothing has been done to clear away the mess yet. Yesterday was a Sunday and I doubt whether the forest park's staff would even want to be aware of it. Better stay in their warm, comfortable houses. But I'm confident that they'll be notified today because people will need to drive up to the telecommunications towers at the summit.

You can see from the photos that the landslips look quite bad. There is still a passable gap between the two landslips but you'll have to tread careful and walk gingerly. The path is definitely slippery.

No comments: