Saturday 27 December 2008

Edelweiss cafe, Armenian Street

More than two months ago I wanted to write a little note about this restaurant in Armenian Street but I never gotten round to doing so. Now's as good a time as any to say that the Edelweiss Cafe serves good European alpine food with a local touch. If you love German and Swiss sausages and pork dishes, here's the place for them. However, if I ever find myself there again, maybe I'll try their cheese fondue next.

But I don't want to talk about their food. I find the interior decoration to be as much a talking point as their food. For one, feast your eyes on this huge clock that reaches almost to the ceiling. It still works but there are no chimes on the hour or half-hour. Would have been great if it still did but the chimes could have been deafening to their customers.

Then there are the nyonya paraphernalia: collections of side boards, old photographs, tiffin carriers, grinders, weighing utensils and what not that were supposed to transport you to the past. If you are curious about some of Penang's heritage features, I suppose the Edelweiss Cafe is a good place to get you started. But don't expect too much after your initial curiosity is sated. Nevertheless, tourists seemed to like the atmosphere very much and when I was there with my family, many of them were enjoying themselves at the space where diffused light beamed down the air well.

No comments: