Wednesday 21 January 2009

Harry Belafonte's Carnegie Hall vinyl records

Way back in December - I think it was around 20 Dec 2008 or so - I took part in a contest on the NYLVI website. It was a very simple contest. All I had to do was to place the NYLVI logo on my blog, link it to their website and then inform them. The prize? Five lucky winners would get a vinyl record of their choice.

Today, I received my prize through the post. All the way from the United States. I have to thank NYLVI for the prize. Greatly appreciated. All the weeks of waiting anxiously for the parcel to arrive because I would be going on leave soon. I went out for lunch and when I returned, my heart skipped a beat. A parcel was on my table and inside it, the Belafonte At Carnegie Hall double album.


As I write this entry, I'm listening to the album and I'm enjoying it immensely. It's a wonderful album which must be listened and appreciated. And although I've also a copy of Belafonte's performance on compact disc, there's nothing like listening to the richness of the sound on vinyl. Somehow, in spite of all the faint background pops and crackles, I felt the atmosphere was better, a warmer performance sonically, clearer even. There were differences between the album and compact disc. Additional tracks - Take My Mother Home, Man Piaba, All My Trials, Merci Bon Dieu - which were not available on the compact disc.

Getting my hands on this double album also means that I now own both of Belafonte's performances at that famed venue: At Carnegie Hall and Returns To Carnegie Hall. The latter was bought by my father. I'm only following his footsteps to appreciate one of the world's great folk singers.


NYLVI is a marketplace for buying and selling vinyl records, structured to reflect the world's major music scenes. NYLVI makes it possible for people to discover local music on vinyl in order to support local independent artists, labels and record stores. NYLVI is a service operated by FAV Labs, a Norwegian company co-founded by Henning Kjølgård, Ivar Lien, Thomas Stenumgård and George Graham on 1 Feb 2008.

No comments: