Saturday 21 February 2009

Stretching the imagination

I was just passing by the television set when I stopped to watch a particular segment of Gourmet Hunt on the Asian food video bible. Sorry, I mean the Asian Food Channel. But it's true ... the Asian Food Channel is fast becoming the Asian food video bible. Or maybe it already is. And as usual on this channel, there are lots of programmes on food in Singapore. I've got nothing against the Singaporeans but anyone naive enough would think that Singapore is the food capital of Asia after watching the food propaganda on this channel. How far, far from it. Okay, I know that Singapore has some fantastic local eateries if you know where to look for them or have friends and relatives who can take you there. But by and large, Singapore...food capital of the Universe? Ha ha ha....please stop tickling me!

So back to this show on the Asian Food Channel. This segment was going on and on about steamboat dinners in Singapore and in particular, this restaurant serving steamboat the traditional way. With burning charcoal in the centre of the steamboat pot instead of the more convenient gas-fired one.

I got one impression after following the show for five minutes: it doesn't take much to excite the average Singaporean's taste buds. I don't know how long ago this segment was filmed but I don't seem to be find anything enthusiastic about this Hainan Kitchen when I googled it. Anyway, the proprietor of this joint was saying that his clients love the traditional charcoal pot because it excited them to see the sparks and the flames. Wow....sparks and flames from steamboat pots are excitement to the Singaporeans. Then, he went on to say that many of his clients prefer to dine in the open field instead of indoors because it gives them a sense of adventure. Yes, indeed...eating in fields is adventurous to the Singaporeans. Unfortunately, I couldn't stomach more revelations from this man and I walked away from my living room.

By the way, there are restaurants in Penang which still serve charcoal-fired steamboat dinners. They are likely to put the Singaporean stuff to shame.

And while I'm still on the topic of food and the Asian Food Channel, I'm wondering why our tourism people in Penang cannot work more with the Asian Food Channel to promote Penang hawker fare? Unlike Singapore, we don't have to turn to our little nooks and cranies on the island or mainland to find delicious hawker food. If Singapore with its so-so food fare can promote themselves, why can't Penang be promoted as the last word in local hawker fare? After all, even The New York Times seems to agree that we are!

No comments: