Friday 20 March 2009

Tecoma blooms

Well, after all the excitement in the local press about flowers blooming with wild abandonment in several parts of Penang, I can safely say that it's not an unusual phenomenon. My housing area in Bukit Mertajam has streets planted with the tecoma trees and we experience the blooms at least twice a year.


In fact, every time the tecoma blooms, my aunt would be the first person to grumble. Not that she is not appreciative of the beauty when the trees are filled with colours of pink, white or red. Rather, she grumbles because she considers sweeping the fallen flowers to be an endless chore for days without end.


But I can safely say that the flowers have all fallen. There are no more buds as I look at the tree outside my window. There are also no more blooms on the nearby trees. So the present tecoma flower season is over - at least here in Bukit Mertajam - and I now await the seed pods forming. Then they'll burst to scatter the seeds to the wind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that tree is called TABEBUIA ROSEA. TECOMA STANS has yellow flowers, common name is Yellow Bells.