Saturday 16 January 2010

George Town's 53rd anniversary

My apologies. This item comes later than it should have but if anyone had realised my state of mind on 31 Dec 2009 and 1 Jan 2010 when I was undergoing a great transition in my life, they will let it pass. Now to matters at hand. In my opinion, my beloved George Town's 53rd anniversary of its city status on 1 Jan 2010 passed by with almost no fanfare this year.


At least last year, there was a function at the E&O Hotel in Farquhar Street in the city but I think there was none this year. Are we getting tired or what? I hope not. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the City celebrating its Heritage Day on 7 July 2010. By now, it should be confirmed as a public holiday in Penang.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: at the Gurney Plaza on New Year's Eve, it was announced that there'll be a Visit Penang Year to promote tourism here. But I'm rather perplexed that the "Year", as defined by the State Executive Councillor in charge of tourism, no less a person than Danny Law, runs from 2010 to 2012. It's a great stretch of the imagination to believe that there are 1096 days in a Year but I've got to give credit to this man that at least, he is trying! In the meantime, here's the latest news regarding his attempts to lure the tourist dollars to Penang.

1 comment:

stephen said...

When do you reckon they will change the name of georgetown to something else.It seems like its the policy to remove all vestiges of the colonial past.Northam road is now something else,so is Greenlane although we still call it by its original name.

Bandaraya Mahathir? Bandaraya Tun Razak?.... your guess is as good as mine.