Sunday 12 September 2010

Getting connected

It would seem very odd to say that whilst I was in Kuala Lumpur recently, I did not have full access to the Internet. But it is true. I did not have my usual access to the Internet while holed up at the Cititel MidValley for nine days playing chess.

At home, I am connected any time of the day -- and night -- through TMNet's Streamyx service but when I was at MidValley, it was either paying through the nose for the hotel's broadband service at RM20 per day or get connected through other means such as visiting the free wifi zones throughout the shopping mall. It's not something that I'd like to do because I don't like to carry a laptop or netbook around.

There was a third alternative: get subscribed to a so-called wireless "broadband service" through any of the wireless service providers. I chose this third option.

For RM48, Maxis Broadband had given me access to some quick surfing while away from home (It is to be noted that "quick" here does not refer to the speed of surfing but rather, the length of time that I'm connected to the etherworld). In addition, I'm limited to a mere 1.5Gb of data volume per month, an embarrasingly small pittance seeing how I used it all up within the nine days. I'm now seriously considering giving up this package and going for another promotion. There are lots to choose from.

No comments: