Sunday 15 July 2012

The moon, Venus and Jupiter

I wonder how many people noticed it this morning but there was an interesting display of the celestial bodies. Actually, I wouldn't have noticed it myself if I had not participated in the FMM Penang heritage trail event. While waiting for the event to start, I happened to glance upwards at the brightening sky.

It was already 6.59a.m. and normally, it would be very difficult already to notice any object in the sky. But not this morning. There, lingering quite near to the waning crescent moon were two bright spots of light in a cloudless sky. The brighter one was Venus while the dimmer one was Jupiter. Together, they were aligned almost in a straight line, truly a remarkable occurrence. A marvellous sight for anyone with a passing interest in astronomy.

No comments: