Saturday 22 September 2012

Kuala Lumpur postbox

The old cylindrical pillar postboxes continue to fascinate me. After having tracked down what I believe to be all the surviving colonial postboxes in Penang, I took the opportunity to visit the Central Market when I was down in Kuala Lumpur last month. I had heard that there was one outside the building.

True enough, while circumbulating the Central Market, I came across it at the southern end of building. A piece of paper was glued to the base of the postbox. I ran my hand over the paper, hoping to trace the outline of the royal cypher. It would have indicated the period when this postbox was installed. Unfortunately, there was none. Like the one in Ayer Itam, Penang, the mark had been filed off. It is so disgraceful that all remnants of our rich history are being removed by ignorant people. Anyway, this one was made by McDowall Steven & Co Ltd.

  


No comments: