Thursday 26 June 2014

Safira Country Club litigation


The Safira Country Club was set up in the mid-1990s. As a resident of Seberang Jaya then, I was more than happy that there was a clubhouse in my township. I welcomed it since I could go there for some relaxation if I wanted it. So I joined as a member, happily paying my monthly dues and enjoying my benefits of membership at the swimming pool (initially, but no more), restaurant and gymnasium. The facilities also included meeting rooms, games rooms, badminton and squash courts, tennis courts, a golf teeing-off range, chalets for rent, and since the last few years, a futsal building.

Recently, I came to know that the Penang Development Corporation had begun legal proceedings against the club for some breach of the terms and conditions surrounding its existing lease. Whatever terms and conditions that were breached, I do not know but I do know that a threat to terminate the lease on the property should be a serious one indeed.

I haven't attempted to find out more about the alleged breach or how the matter had proceeded from this point but as a member of the Safira Club, naturally I am concerned enough. How long will the litigation battle take? Who is right, who is wrong? And the most important question of all, how will my membership be affected?



No comments: