Saturday 19 July 2014

Deep Purple's Made In Japan


I was at the Artist Gallery in Queensbay Mall just the other day. This music shop has started to stock more records on their shelves nowadays. Guess they also realise that vinyl records are undergoing a renaissance and there are still die-hard music lovers that haven't parted with their turntables. Moreover, there are also the newbies who are starting to discover the lure of vinyls.

So there I was in Artist Gallery, looking through their range of records. I noticed that two versions of Deep Purple's monumental Made In Japan were on display. One was the original double album set which had been remasters for reissue on 180g vinyl, while the other was a CD box set containing all their performances in Japan.

The band played in Osaka and Tokyo in 1972, but their albums were only released two years later in 1974. Therefore, 2014 would mark the 40th anniversary of the first release of their double album set. If I don't already have the Made In Japan music on compact disc (25th anniversary edition) or vinyl record (original 1974 edition), I would have considered picking them up but actually, I already have them in my collection.

Just yesterday, I removed my album from the shelves and played all four sides. Arguably, one of the best live recordings of a rock group. Played them loud, as the music of Deep Purple should be played. And the whole house reverberated with the sound of Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover, Jon Lord and Ian Paice. That's Deep Purple Mark II for me!


Side One: Highway star (Osaka 16 Aug 1972), Child in time (Osaka, 16 Aug 1972)
Side Two: Smoke on the water (Osaka, 15 Aug 1972), The mule (Tokyo, 17 Aug 1972)
Side Three: Strange kind of woman (Osaka, 16 Aug 1972), Lazy (Tokyo, 17 Aug 1972)
Side Four: Space truckin' (Osaka, 16 Aug 1972)


No comments: