Sunday 12 March 2017

Love without end 不了情


I discovered this 45rpm record among my collection four nights ago. This record, together with many others, had been given to me by the wife of the late first president of the Penang Chess Association. After her husband had died four years ago, she called me to her house one day and passed me a small bag of some 20 to 30 pieces of 45rpm records.

However, I just didn't have the time to look through them all these years...until four nights ago. Lots of unfamiliar titles, including records that he had picked up from his chess travels through Yugoslavia in the early 70s. Then I came across this record.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. A precious gem of a find. I had the record cleaned up and then put it on the turntable. Imagine my hair standing on end when the first bars of the piano were heard. That unmistakable, dramatic piano intro followed by the sorrowful, maybe regretful, voice of Linda Lin Dai, then possibly the most glamorous leading lady among Hong Kong's film stars. Love without end (1961, Shaw Brothers production). 不了情。Unfortunately I'm too much of a yellow banana to know exactly what she was singing about, but the message was clear. And the tune, memorable.



No comments: