Tuesday 29 May 2018

Three days in KL


Came back from Kuala Lumpur last night, where my wife and I were attending one of Joey Yap's seminars. I was quite amazed that again, not once did I nod off during the three-day event. Am I getting better with my attention span, or did the topics get more interesting for me? Anyhow, I did stay awake the whole time, again.

We took the eight o'clock train back to Bukit Mertajam. Uneventful ride, although the ETS train was delayed. We were only allowed down to the platform at KL Sentral at about 8.20pm to await its arrival from the north. Noticed that the carriages were not full when it pulled out from the station and the air-conditioning wasn't working too well initially.

The delayed departure meant that we arrived at the Bukit Mertajam station about 20 to 30 minutes behind schedule. There was a mild concern when the weather turned bad after Taiping and I could see the rain pelting down against the carriage's windows.

There were also postings on facebook to warn people of an impending thunderstorm in the north of the country. Would it be as bad as last November, I wondered? Would the taxi driver be able to pick us up at the BM station? Luckily, by the time we arrived, the thunderstorm had stopped. 

Nevertheless, it was a gingerly drive back to our house. When the driver reached the centre of the town, the roads around the Police station were at least six inches deep in flood water. Luckily there was little traffic at the junction which enabled him to navigate slowly round the bend without letting up on his already slow speed. I'm sure everybody released a silent sigh of relief. The next potential obstacle was a spot of lower level ground in my neighbourhood which was very susceptible to flooding. But there was no problem here as I told the driver to take an alternative route to the house.

No comments: