Friday 19 October 2018

PFS Co-curricular day


I'll be missing this year's Penang Free School's Speech Day and the annual dinner of The Old Frees' Association as I shall be in Kuala Lumpur for the convocation ceremony of my nephew. Which would be considered a more important occasion: the annual Speech Day and OFA Dinner, or my nephew's once-in-a-lifetime convocation? It goes without saying which is more important to me. Hence, my absence this Sunday.

But by a quirk of luck this year, I managed to find time to attend the School's Co-curricular Day on 18 Oct 2018. My first time attending this event, although I've been invited to it for the past seven years. But you must come this year, insisted the Headmaster, Omar b Abdul Rashid. So I went. With my camera. Despite the heavy rain in the morning. Soggy grounds, due to the rain but the show must go on. So we waited until the heavens eased up on the precipitation.

Hari Kokurikulum, as they would call it officially. This is the day when the School's uniform bodies put out a display for all to see. A march past of the 1st Georgetown (South) Scouts, 7th Georgetown (South) Scouts, 8yj Georgetown (South) Scouts, 4th Ranger Units, Boys' Brigade, Civil Defence Cadet Corps, Youth Cadet Corps, Police Cadet and Red Crescent (Unit 25), led by the School Band. Also displays by the Karate and Taekwon-do Clubs. Both Taekwon-do clubs, the GTF and the WTF.





Then back we trooped to the Pinhorn Hall. There was a small exhibition by the clubs and societies to showcase their achievements at state, national and international levels. I met several of our Leadership workshop participants. Of course, it was a thrill to meet him. A greater thrill when they recognised you and greeted you. Getting closer to the School definitely makes you feel younger again, well, at least emotionally.

Syed Mohamad Aidid was in his element, speaking off the cuff and extolling the School to say "I love you." Next came the cultural displays on the stage by members of the Chinese Cultural Society (Chinese drums), Indian Cultural Society (Indian dance) and the Malay Cultural Society (Boria), followed by a drumline demostration and a rendition of four popular songs by the School Band. Then finally, the most boring part of any programme but a necessity, the presentation of awards to the various co-curricular activity achievers. That brought the curtain down on a wet but largely interesting morning.






No comments: