Wednesday 23 October 2019

21st October 2019


I was in Kuala Lumpur over the weekend and had rushed back to Penang on Sunday night so that I could attend this day celebrating the 203rd anniversary of my alma mater, Penang Free School. Here are my selected pictures from an eventful day.

At the grave of Robert Sparke Hutchings with the representatives of Penang Free School at about 7.20am. The Hutchings Secondary School Prefects are at the back.

With Mahyidin Mustakin, President of  both the PFS Foundation and Old Frees' Association Kuala Lumpur and Selangor. He asked me who were behind the 10 educational videos and I told him that Siang Jin and I were from the Class of 1970. And he duly acknowledged us in his address at Speech Day.

With Goh Keat Jin, Chief Executive Officer of Maybank Asset Management in Singapore. He was the guest speaker representing the Old Frees at the Speech Day ceremony.

With my old schoolmate, Sukumaran. We came all the way from the mainland: me from Bukit Mertajam and Suku from Nibong Tebal.

The ever-present School Band started the day's proceedings with their rendition of the National and State anthems upon the arrival of the Governor, and then rounded up Speech Day with this version of the School Rally.

The question is who did better? Did the Free School boys and girls sing the School Rally better than the Old Frees at the OFA annual dinner? Who sand with greater gusto?

With some of the Penang Free School Prefects and members of the School Magazine Editorial Board: Afan, Krisada, myself, Dylan, Luvinaash, Yu Yan and Yan Tatt. (I've yet to see the magazine, though, despite holding up a copy.)

With my fellow chessmates Low Han Boon and Terry Ong

My wife and I with some of the remnants from our Ban Hin Lee Bank days: Quah Lean Hin and Ng Khye Wai. There were at least three more at the OFA annual dinner whom I totally forgot about. Sorry about that!

With my old Westlands Primary School schoolmates, Wong Chye Chye and Yeoh Oon Hup. Yes, we really do go back a long, long way.

With Loh Lean Kang, Aryan Singh and Tan Soo Choon

With some of the people that had attended our PFS student leadership workshops over the years: from left, Yu Yan, Yan Tatt, Adrian, Gautam, Nicholas, Tharswin, Aryan, Lean kang, myself, Soo Choon, Diviyha, Harish, Afan and Gokhulan


No comments: