Monday 20 January 2020

Unsatisfactory service


What with both the City Councils on the island and mainland wanting to raise their assessment rates in the near foreseeable future, my fellow residents of Lorong Jernih 4 and I had attended a session to meet with an MBSP Councillor in December to voice our objections to the proposed rate increase. I had been pretty vocal and insisted that the rates should come down instead of going up since the contractors had not been keeping their side of the bargain to clean our road.

The Councillor explained that there were two groups of workers: one wearing MBSP polo T-shirts meaning they were staff of the city council while the other would wear different coloured T-shirts to indicate they were contracted. I told him that these were not MBSP staff that I could see in my neighbourhood regularly. Why were the real MBSP staff not serving us? Why use contractors who were not doing their jobs properly?

Almost apologetically, the Councillor said he was only collecting information on the objections to the proposed rate increase and anyway, the term of the MBSP Councillors was already coming to an end and new Councillors would be appointed by the Penang government in January 2020.

So imagine my satisfaction when I found out that this Councillor had been reappointed for another term. Good, I can now follow up with him on this sweeping matter. Not mincing my words, I sent him a message through Whatsapp and I really hope something good will come out from it (although my gut feeling is that nothing good will happen.)


No comments: