Monday 30 July 2007

St Anne's feast - Aftermath

I saw this solitary worker sweeping the road this morning. As you can see, there's rubbish strewn everywhere. And he was painstakingly trying to do his best. But he faced a daunting task if he were alone doing this.


FOR ONE MAN ALONE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO CLEAR ALL THE RUBBISH BY HIMSELF! When I turned into the Kulim Road this morning, I was appalled to see, literally, a sea of rubbish on both sides of the road for as far as my eyes could see.


You see, these were the rubbish left behind in the aftermath of the St Anne's Feast last weekend. These were the very rubbish left behind by the pilgrims and worshippers who visited the St Anne's Church.


I hope they are proud of the mess they left behind. Celebrate if they must, but where is their civic-mindedness? Is this their hallmark? Is it a tradition that they must dirty the place and leave it to the residents and the Council staff to clear up after them?? Don't be so irresponsible!


Even nearer to the church, the roadside was not spared. Can you imagine that traders could leave their make-shift stalls behind for others to dismantle and throw away? Sheesh!!


And in the mean time, this poor guy was left to do all the dirty work. I only hope his wheelbarrow was big enough to contain ALL THE RUBBISH from the weekend. I hope the pilgrims and worshippers - whoever they are and wherever they come from - are satisfied. I'm so disgusted with some of my fellow Malaysians!


FOOTNOTE: There is a night market every Friday along Cangkat Damai which is a stone's throw from where I stay. It is always very full of people. In sharp contrast to the rubbish along the Kulim Road, Cangkat Damai is always spotlessly clean on Saturday mornings.

No comments: