Saturday 8 September 2007

Big rain coming!

It was a deluge yesterday at about 2pm and then it stopped. The sky was so clear that I could see the BM Hill from the Hotel Equatorial but then, the sky really darkened again after 4pm. Here's how it looked like from the hotel just before the second storm. Very ominous.


Anyway, I had expected the Penang Bridge to be jammed and I was right. Traffic on a Friday is always bad enough but yesterday, it was almost at a standstill at that part where the Bayan Lepas Expressway joined the bridge. So, it didn't take me half a tick to proceed straight to the ferry terminal.

I had also expected the ferry terminal to be jammed with vehicles. As usual, I started queuing from the Esplanade roundabout but surprisingly, the queue moved rather smoothly and quickly. I found out why. To the credit of Penang Port, they had stationed their Port Police outside the terminal to direct traffic into the waiting area. They also prevented motorists from cutting into the queue.


The photos aren't very clear but you can see the three port policemen who made a real difference to the traffic flow around the ferry terminal. Kudos to them. It really made my day despite the weather.

I learnt from my family members that it was quite a storm on the mainland. This morning, I chanced to turn into the road behind my house. The storm had torn off a huge branch from a tree. Luckily, it didn't fall on any vehicle or anyone. It's so unlikely to see this in a new housing area but it happened.

No comments: