Friday 15 May 2015

Strained shoulder muscle


I think it was during one of those fist-pumping, arms-waving activities at the Anthony Robbins seminar in Singapore recently that I injured my shoulder muscles. I don't remember any other occasion that would have caused me so much pain in subsequent days of my stay there.

On the second day of the seminar, I was already feeling uncomfortable while moving my right arm. I had to move the arm gingerly as any sudden movement resulted in a searing pain running down from the shoulder to the elbow.

I found that only with some effort, I could touch my  left shoulder with the right hand. And I could no longer position my right arm behind my back. The pain did seem to subside a little during the afternoon but I must have aggravated it again whilst turning my body because later, the nagging pain just simply would not go away. I can tell you that it was a cause of concern both to me and my wife.

When we went for dinner with my old school mates, I found that I was required to reach for the food in the centre of the table with chopsticks. At first, I didn't find this a problem but as the night wore on, it became difficult for me to stretch my arm out. Further, I discovered that I could not even touch my left shoulder now, no matter how much I tried to bear with the pain.

Friends and relatives all urged me to seek immediate treatment and in fact, I wanted to. But there was also the traditional medicated plaster that I thought I should try first. Yes, luckily they did provide me with some comfort.

Upon my return to Penang on Sunday, I rushed to my physiotherapist at the Carl Corrynton Hospital in Green Lane on the following day. The physiotherapist confirmed that it wasn't a ligament problem; just a strained shoulder muscle. He's a young chap, just 25 or 26 years old, but he is good. Just two treatments on Monday and Thursday and the pain is almost gone. I've recovered maybe 95 percent of the use of my right arm. There is still a slight pain when I move the arm in a certain direction but he assured me that it should disappear with time and the proper exercises. Here's hoping that he's correct!


No comments: