Sunday 5 September 2021

Waning crescent

Where I'm concerned, this is possibly my last gasp visual of the waning moon for this year's Chinese seventh lunar month, taken this morning (5th of September) at 6.25am when it was 5.3 percent illuminated and hanging about 11 degrees above the horizon. Tomorrow morning it will be much lower in the dawn sky compared with the same time today and thus, far too difficult to spot. I'm not confident at all of seeing the even thinner crescent. This will have to do.

It's possible to see the whole orb of the moon in the picture as the unlit part is faintly illuminated by light reflected from the earth's surface.

An update: As I anticipated, it was not possible for me to see the moon in the morning of the sixth of September. I had waited until 6.40am before venturing out to the spot where I knew the moon would be rising. But the old moon was too low in the sky and the view was obscured by the tree line. Or perhaps I wasn't observant enough. Besides, it was starting to get light. All these factors contributed. It would have been nice to see the 1.5 percent illuminated waning moon. So goodbye to the end of the Chinese seventh lunar month.



No comments: