Thursday 27 November 2008

More of Crosby Stills Nash and (sometimes) Young

I took the opportunity yesterday to finish listening to the remaining Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young albums in my little record collection. Already, a few days ago I was listening to the two compilation albums, So Far and the Celebration Copy.

Last night, the CSN debut album, imaginatively titled Crosby, Stills and Nash, was given a spin.

First, out came my carbon fibre anti-static dry cleaner. Wow, removed a layer of dirt on both sides of the record. I gave the record a good rub and followed up with a wet wash. Not underneath the tap, mind you. Gave that up months ago. It's now a do-it-yourself wash solution of distilled water, iso-propyl alcohol and a little surfactant. So far, so good. I've reduced the pops and crackles considerably.

I turned up the volume on Helplessly Hoping and filled the house with that distinctive CSN harmony. That's really one of the best songs I've ever heard and enjoyed.

The second album that came out from my cupboard was Deja Vu. Equally enjoyable but I still prefer the first album. Of course, this one had to have Woodstock in it. You know, the Joni Mitchell number that she wrote after the music festival was held, not before.

And the last of the three albums that I placed on my Rega Planar 3 was the double album, 4 Way Street. I listened to Sides Three and Four first, wanting to get the electronic music out of the way before I really settled down to a good listen of their acoustic numbers on Sides One and Two.

I tell you, listening to CSN and CSNY is bliss....

No comments: