Tuesday 1 May 2012

Bersih 3.0: Should you still have confidence in this government?

It was really frustrating to be away on the East Coast at the time when the critical Duduk Bantah sitdown rally for FREE AND CLEAN ELECTIONS IN MALAYSIA was taking place in Kuala Lumpur. Going there meant that I was virtually cut off from the Internet the whole time and could only rely on the bits of information that friends were passing on to me.

Last night was the first real opportunity for me to read about what had taken place over the weekend. I was both surprised and appalled.

Surprised in the sense that I learnt of the 300,000 to 350,000 of my fellow citizens who had decided bravely to participate in the rally despite ominous warnings from the DBKL and the Police. This number was beyond my expectation. Looking at the picture below, which I picked out from facebook, it gave me a big sense of pride to see the turnout.


Then I felt appalled when I read that the Police was still clueless and had no idea or ready solution to crowd control. Yet again, they resorted to that most basic of animal instinct. They turned on their physical might against the people of Malaysia. They are damn bullies and hooligans, really bent on using any means - including infiltration and censorship - to create havoc and use the filmsiest of excuses to use their water cannons and tear gas on the defenceless citizens of this country.

It is a bigger shame that Putrajaya and Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur have to hide behind the skirts of the Police force. Don't they understand that crude might is never right? When governments and authorities resort to violence, it can only mean that they have lost their ability to negotiate with the people. Our federal government have failed us real bad. They have lost their mandate. They have lost the respect of the people. This Bersih 3.0 rally must make them understand that the people are the ones that elected them into power and the people will be the ones that will decide whether to give them the mandate again.

As for me and my family, our decision is very clear. There is no place in this country for bigots and racists like the Najib regime to continue for another term. Come this General Election, our votes will go to the Pakatan Rakyat. No question about that, our time will come to kick them out of office.



No comments: